Saturday, September 10, 2011

Chili, Birthday, iPad and small successes

This week was a trip. Four new students and a completely different schedule really threw us for a loop, but my kids adjusted well and yesterday was such a wonderful day. Best day of teaching thus far and a great way to kick off my birthday weekend. Hopefully days like yesterday will become more and more frequent.

I have one student who cries all day long. Not just quietly whimpering in the corner. We're talking full on hysterical bawling in the middle of circle time. He cries so much he throws up. The first 6 days of school, he barfed daily. The vomiting has stopped, the crying had not. Until yesterday. I don't know what it was that made him immediately stop crying after morning circle time. Maybe it was because I let him sit right by me, or maybe it was because another student gave him a hug, but whatever it was, G was happy all day long. So happy that I actually had to sit him out from recess with the rest of the boys for 2 minutes for being so rowdy in the hallway. I mean, I hate sitting kiddos out from recess, but thank goodness he was acting like a regular 4 year old. It was a very, very exciting day for him. Later, he drew me a picture, presented it to me, then said, "Wait! I need to add something!" He then went back to his seat and drew the letters T and H (our letters from last week and this week) all over the page. I had never seen him smile so big. I was almost in tears, it was so wonderful. He is an adorable little boy and after yesterday, I am so excited to see the things we can accomplish together this year.

Yesterday was also great because I had a master teacher come into my room and tell me I was doing everything I should be doing. She said it was obvious my kids loved me and that I loved them. She said I had great games and learning opportunities planned for them. She was excited that mt kids are writing and starting to say sorry, please and thank you without a prompt from me. She said she was proud of me, and that was exactly what I needed to hear. I am so lucky that my school is so incredibly supportive of me and the other first year teachers. I have a new family at Skelly Primary and for that I could not be more grateful.

I told my kids that my birthday is on Monday. I told them that if they are good, we will have a party, but we're probably going to party it up regardless. We're going to have cupcakes and each kid will get a toy and a book to take home. I'm going to wear a boa and princess crown and really make a huge deal about it. So, yesterday, M, one of my new students who is just the sweetest little girl in the world, (I could have an entire post on all the adorable things she says) says to me, "Ms. Talab, I'm going to tell my mommy to buy you a present for your birthday!" My heart totally melted.

Today, I am so excited to celebrate my birthday and these small successes with some new friends. I am so totally blessed to have such wonderful people in my life right now and we are all very excited to experience Oklahoma in a new way at the 32nd annual Bluegrass and Chili Festival. Should make for an interesting evening.

Lastly, the day has come. Tomorrow, I get my very ow iPad tomorrow- fo free! I can't wait to start developing assessments, tracking growth, writing anecdotal notes and downloading totally awesome games for my kids to play during teacher-led centers. Thanks Apple for a bad ass birthday present!

Love,

AJ

No comments: